Pages

Monday, May 25, 2009

Writing a Children's Picture Book

Monday, May 25, 2009
As I’m working on my first children’s picture book, I checked out my all-time childhood favorite from the local Santa Monica Public Library:

“Corduroy” by Don Freeman.

It turns out the 40th Anniversary edition includes correspondence between Freeman and his editor Annis Duff - in addition to a copy of his original manuscript with the editor’s penciled notes in the margins. Amazing insight to the story-editing process!

For anyone interested in writing for children’s literature (from picture books to YA-Young Adult novels), I highly recommend joining the online Yahoo Group for children's writers and Illustrators.

This wonderfully supportive virtual community is a rich resource for information. The 2600+ members will answer most any question you have, no matter where you are in the creative process. Many are published veterans.

May I one day join their lot!

SOS ~ kg

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Spirit of Story © 2008. Design by Pocket